- 1/2 kg. Soft white khoya
- 2 1/2 cups (approx.300gms) sugar powdered
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
- 1 tsp. cardamom seeds semi crushed
- 1 tbsp. slivered or crushed pistachios
- Grate khoya with a steel (not iron) grater.Add powdered sugar and mix well.
- Put mixture in a large heavy or nonstick pan. Heat first on high for few minutes.The on slow till done.
- Make sure to stir continuously, while on heat. When mixture thick and gooey, add cardamom.
- Mix well, and take off fire. Allow to cool, gently turning occasionall
- Use cookie moulds, or shape pedas with palms into patty rounds.
- Mix pistachios and cardamom seeds and press a bit on top of each.
- If using moulds, first sprinkle some at bottom. Take some mixture and press into mould. When set well, invert and carefully, unmould.
Given above is the basic recipe. Any color (yellow, orange, green, cochineal), essence (pineapple, orange, pista, chocolate), topping (almonds, walnuts, cashews), can be added to the recipe. You can also add any of following for varied flavors: cashew powder 1/2 cup, cocoa 2 tbsp (then increase sugar by 1/2 cup), walnuts powdered 1/2 cup, etc.